Meeting the Takamura Brothers

Terukazu teaches sharpening
A few months ago I was raving about a knife that a couple of chefs posted online, Takamura. I have never seen one in the wild but the reviews were just alluring. These were big Michelin star chefs, who unlike me, have made their way unto culinary greatness. So I thought maybe they knew a thing or two. The team that won the Bocuse D'or this year apparently favored Takamuras too. I read somewhere that one of them actually gets his knife customized just for the sake of having a one in a billion knife. I have seen too many tomato cutting skills for me to pass this up.

The knives are made by the Takamura family in Fukui Prefecture, Japan who specializes in powdered steel technology called R2 HSPS (High speed powdered steel). Knives are hardened to about 65hrc and sharpened on a very acute angle. I was skeptical. How can a knife that hard not be a chipping monster? Apparently, unlike some of the other steel knives, powdered steel blades have alloys scattered evenly across the knife itself. Imagine two fruit shakes, one blended smoothly and the other one just roughly chopped. The blended one would have components all over as opposed to the chopped one. That would mean better edge retention and the ability to stay extremely thin. This knife sounded too good to be true. 

Hideo engraving my knife
The Takamura brothers, both Hideo and Terukazu would, after a few weeks, visit New York City for the annual Star Chefs event. It was Tomoko, a saleslady turned friend, at the MTC Kitchen store here in NYC who invited me to a so called closed door event. Apparently, the brothers were coming to town to sell a bunch of knives and engrave it themselves using traditional methods. They also planned a knife demonstration and tutorial from non other than the blacksmiths themselves. 

The day came and the first thing that I thought was that It was too expensive. Second, they are just too beautiful for everyday line cook duties. These knives aren't the warrior in the kitchen type blades, these are the brunch ladies, sex and the city, come to my tea party type of knives. By that time, I've already read reviews from a blacksmith in a kitchen knife forum saying that they were not made properly under the handle or something to that effect. 

I tested one with Tomoko's approval, giving me a carrot and some vegetables. I remember it clear as day. I did not feel the carrot.  I didn't feel any vegetables. I know I sliced it. I just didn't feel it slicing. How did that happen? What is this sorcery? It was a humbling experience. This is on another level.

I was about to go for a 240mm Hana Suminigashi, more commonly known as 240mm Japanese Handle Fancy Ass Damascus (they only had two at that time), when I remembered how happy I am for not being homeless. I settled for the 210mm for almost $200 less and managed to get through the week eating free food at the restaurant where I work. I had a fancy knife but didn't have money to buy food, right? Totally worth it. It was build like a tank but dressed as a Japanese beauty queen.

210mm Gyuto Suminagashi
Mr. Hideo Takamura engraved my knife and told me the kanji he wrote for my name also meant humility and persistence. The two attributes I needed to survive the month of not having enough money for food, I thought. Kidding aside, they were extremely helpful and extremely proud of their work. We had a bunch of knives sharpened by Terukazu and he was scrambling all over for carrots and vegetables for us to try slicing it with. I also had the opportunity of getting some lessons off of Terukazu. He showed me a bunch of techniques for sharpening the tip of knives, proper repairing and that sweet low angle he does on his knives. 

It was an amazing day, one I will never forget.


Comments

Popular Posts