How I Got a Free Yanagiba


300mm Doi Hayate and 270mm Suisin Aogami
I was fortunate enough to learn a few things about sharpening from the president and owner of Suisin Knives, Mr. Junro Aoki at a knife event in New York City. I bought a new knife from him that came from one of the best families in Japan, Doi. Even though we speak a different language, he was kind enough to insist on actually explaining to me what he was doing with my newly acquired yanagiba. Vincent, the co-lead sharpener of Korin Knives, was happy enough to translate the conversation. One thing he kept on saying was the importance of the forward stroke on urasuki sharpening as he masterfully grinded my new 300mm Doi Hayate Yanagiba on his sharpening stone.

After some knife sharpening demonstrations, he took out another brand new yanagiba and started lecturing the crowd on proper knife sharpening. It's so amazing how such a simple act of sharpening be so complicated at the same time. I had so many questions to ask him that I thought that I might bore the entire audience out of their minds. So I hesitated.
sharpening my would-be knife

Good thing Mr. Aoki had a special game of rock paper scissors for everyone. The objective of said game was to win at rock paper scissors against around thirty or forty people in the store. Mr. Aoki would raise his hand and everyone was against him all at the same time. The objective was not to be eliminated and be the last one standing. I mean, come on. Who wants to play that, right? A few minutes after, he announced that the winner would receive the actual yanagiba he was sharpening a while ago. Everyone was like, "Fuck it."

Mr. Junro Aoki, Suisin President
And so there I was, finding myself in the most nerve wracking game of rock, paper and scissors I have ever played in my life. It was even caught on video too. I swear I looked like the nerdiest, dorkiest, most competitive, kid wearing goggles at a soccer match. One by one, my enemies were dropping out. They were getting killed by this old man at a children's game. I, on the other hand, had my game face on. I was analyzing the hell out of his hands. It seemed as though there was a sequence unto what gesture he was about to make. Rock, paper, rock, paper, scissors, scissors. It's extremely funny now that I remember how serious I was. Come on it's a $500 knife on the line.



Money shot!

I was on a winning streak. Mr. Aoki had nothing on my game. When we were about 5 left in the group, my nerves were out of control. My hands were shaking and the thought of me actually winning was surprisingly getting clearer. Now there was only two of us. Mr. Aoki told us to just battle each other for the $500 knife.







And so here it is, my 300mm Doi Hayate Mirror Yanagiba and the 270mm Suisin Aogami Yanagiba I got for winning. I sold one to a good friend of mine a couple of days after, just because I felt the need to pass it forward. The other one I hope to cut some lucky gigantic tilapia with in the future. I kid.

Comments

Popular Posts